Sunday, May 05, 2013

Two more Meetups

Today I went to a Classical Movies Meetup at the Central in Mirvish Village.  We had a buffet lunch and saw F.W. Murnau's silent classic SUNRISE.  It's the third time I've seen it--the first was at London's Royal Festival Hall in 1995, accompanied by a live orchestra!  It's a conventional Hollywood story with stylish, atmospheric direction.

When the movie was finished, I went to the second floor at the Central for the Play Reading Meetup. (It's been a while since I went to that:  there were a couple of events that were filled up before I even read that they'd been posted!) We were reading Chekhov's UNCLE VANYA, from Michael Frayn's translation.  Unfortunately, the movie was delayed getting started and I got in late.  On top of that, I couldn't find the Frayn version:  all thirty library copies were out, and the Chapters and Indigo bookstores didn't have any.  And on top of THAT, the reading came to a long halt when some Russians in the group started talking about the play.  That may not be so bad when you've been there from the start, but when you got in late you need to get into the flow and such interruptions are frustrating.  So I left early.

On the way home I decided to take the Dufferin bus instead of the Ossington, on the assumption that Dufferin would be more regular, with less risk of a long delay.  But I ended up cooling my heels in a very long delay, until FOUR buses came at once!

No comments: