Saturday, May 30, 2015

THE YEARLING

I've started reading Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' The Yearling for my Classic Book Club.  What a challenge getting it from the library!  I'd misplaced my library card, so I went to the Wychwood library to get a new one.  It turned out that I'd left it at the Bloor-Gladstone library a couple of months ago, so I went there to get it back.  Then I returned to Wychwood and was going to take out a copy of The Yearling, but it turned out that my library card needed renewal, so I had to go home to get a "proof of residence" document. (There ought to be an easier way of proving where you live!) So I got the card renewed, but the book still hadn't been reshelved.  I ended up borrowing it from the Oakwood branch.

I've only read a couple of chapters of the book so far, but it's vivid!

Wednesday night I saw the documentary Iris at the Bloor, about Iris Apfel, a 90-year-old designer with an enduring sense of style.  What a lot of objets d'art she's collected over her life!  They should build a museum just to fill it with the best of her stuff.

Thursday night the Classic Movie Meetup and I saw King Vidor's early talkie Street Scenes at the Revue.  It seemed pretty close to the stage version, which isn't such a bad thing.  I got more and more into it as it went along, and now I want to see it again!  They also showed a newsreel about 1936 aviation, a Betty Boop cartoon based on Snow White--with Koko the Clown (Cab Calloway's voice) singing "The St. James Infirmary Blues"--and a short made from the football scenes in the Marx Brothers vehicle Horse Feathers.

We had a long spell of dry weather for the last week, but it finally rained today, and the garden soil is a nice deep brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With all the effort of going to three branches, you might have considered buying a new or used copy of The Yearling. Not more than $10.