Friday, May 20, 2016

A new Facebook group

Margaret Dumont: "Your Excellency!" Groucho Marx: "You're not so bad yourself!"--Duck Soup

I've started a new Facebook group!  It's called Toronto Bookshelf and it's for lovers of reading in the Toronto area and elsewhere.  One thing I intend to do is show upcoming events for all the public book clubs in the Toronto area, starting with my own.  I've started doing a Book Club of the Day feature.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/553940368099770/

Puitak came over Tuesday morning and she, Moira and I spent a couple of hours colouring my DoodleArt poster.  It was really fun!  Then we went to the Dragon Pearl Chinese buffet out near York Mills & Leslie and had lunch with Gordon.  Afterward we got a peek at a Korean supermarket next door. (Those were some big apples!)

Tuesday night the choir performed a few numbers for a private function given by our patron Tony Fusco.

Wednesday night I went to John Snow's lecture about The Pilgrim's Progress.  It was out at the Coxwell library, so getting there was an adventure.  Maybe we should read it in my book club!

Thursday night I saw Leo McCarey's Duck Soup at the Revue.  Today many people consider it the Marx Brothers' masterpiece but at the time it flopped and ended their contract with Paramount.   It's definitely "all over the place." (Afterward they went to MGM, minus Zeppo, and had a big comeback with the more conventional A Night at the Opera.) Funny how the Marx Brothers were all different while their vaudeville contemporaries the Ritz Brothers were all the same!

I'm starting to get excited about visiting New York at the end of July!  I want to see the musicals Fiddler on the Roof and An American in Paris, and our travel agent is arranging some block bookings. (Hope I have time to visit Cloisters...)

Sore throat.

No comments: