Monday, May 30, 2016

THE GOOD EARTH

"Everyone has some tension with his family.  But not everyone turns into Danny!"--Bloodline

I've finished the book about the Mongols and started rereading Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth for the Classic Book Club.  What a great book it is!  I'm already a third of the way through it.

Blanche Klein let me write a guest post on her blog How Do We Spend Our Free Time at http://klein169.blogspot.ca .  I described what I did Thursday when I bought the seeds for our garden.

Friday we started watching the second season of Bloodline, which has been released on Netflix.  I'm glad Chloe Savigny turned up again!  But I'm so busy in the evenings that I'll have to watch most of it in the day by myself.

Saturday afternoon I went on an Art Walk in the Junction. (We visited a studio that teaches realistic painting.) In the evening the choir performed at Carassauga so Ronaldo drove me and several others out to the Mississauga place.  We sang in a converted hockey arena with lots of echoes and a steadily murmuring audience.  It made me appreciate our other venues!

Today I went to John Snow's book club and we discussed Gunter Grass' The Tin Drum.  I didn't have time to read it in its new translation, but I did read the Ralph Mannheim translation sixteen years ago.  We're now convening in a "heritage room" at the big United Church at the corner of Queen and Church streets.

The choir was going to sing the national anthem at Carassauga this evening, but at the last minute things got changed.  I was late learning this because I didn't read my emails in the morning. (I'll get dozens overnight and not always feel like going through them.) I ate in a hurry at Burger King just beforehand.  But at least I was wearing my choir outfit--suit and black turtleneck--to the book club, and looked pretty fancy!

No comments: