Monday, April 10, 2017

Spring fever

Well, not quite spring fever.  But the warm weather has finally arrived, and now I can open my windows!

Friday night I went to another Vintage Meetup.  This time I wore a gray blazer I found in my closet which I don't think I'd ever worn before!  Miriam and I saw the Marion Davies silent movie When Knighthood Was in Flower at the Revue, in the silent film festival.  It's easy to forget that William Randolph Hearst's mistress did have talent--she influenced Lucille Ball--though she ended up squandering it in grotesque '30s musicals.

The movie was about the sister of Henry VIII, who was married to the doddering King of France for a year, then chose her own husband and was Lady Jane Grey's grandmother.  I got curious about the Grey line, which would have inherited the throne in 1714 but for the Hanovers, and looked up some genealogical tables online.  It turns out that the present heirs are in Princess Diana's family!

Sunday afternoon I attended John Snow's book club, where we discussed Good Morning, Midnight.  Afterward I went to the ESL Meetup again.

I've now started reading the spring issue of Lapham's Quarterly, whose theme is discovery.

No comments: