Monday, November 20, 2017

Athens rising near the pole

Saturday afternoon Dawna, Debi and I watched some episodes of Get Smart and Hogan's HeroesHogan's Heroes was really a little boy's idea of World War II:  that's the key to it! (People who actually lived through military imprisonment are apt to find it tasteless.)

Yesterday afternoon was Reading Out Loud Meetup.  The topic was Canadian writing, so I titled the event Athens Rising Near the Pole (quoting Alexander Pope!). We read several stories from Kaleidoscope:  David Helwig's "Streetcar, Streetcar, Wait for Me," John Metcalf's "Early Morning Rabbits," Hugh Garner's "The Moose and the Sparrow" and David Lewis Stein's "The Huntsman." (Other Kaleidoscope stories I remember from high school are Alice Munro's "Day of the Butterfly," Mordecai Richler's "Pinky's Squealer" and Hugh MacLennan's "The Lost Love of Tommy Waterfield."

The other night I dreamed of getting into a fierce quarrel with my father. (We never fight in real life!) Just last night I dreamed of visiting the old Mount Allison campus and finding it unrecognizably high-tech, and of hearing the torch song "Ten Cents a Dance" in a supermarket.  I've been having vivid dreams because I'm experimenting with cutting back my anti-depressants to every other day.

No comments: