Friday, November 24, 2017

GODLESS

Woman speaking First Nations language: "He looks simple." Boy translating: "She says you look strong." "I'll name him Stray Dog." "And she's naming you Wandering Star"--Godless

Tonight we saw the first episode of the western series Godless on Netflix.  It was a promising start, with lots of graphic mayhem and bleakness and existential dread. (I noticed that the shaman trying to cure the sheriff's failing sight was Deputy Hawk from Twin Peaks!)

We just saw a DVD of Roberto Rossellini's neo-realist films Paisan and Germany:  Year Zero. (We also had his Rome:  Open City, but we'd seen it before.) I'd wanted to see both for quite a while, and they're powerful depictions of Europe at the end of World War II.

At the opera rehearsal Tuesday night we did the acting exercise where we formed successive pairs and took turns mirroring each other! (The director asked each of us for a rhyme or alliteration of our name so he could remember them, and I called myself "James the Joker"!)

I finished the Civil War book and started Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess.

No comments: