Tuesday, February 06, 2018

#56



"You're an agnostic." "I've got a cream for that!"--Hot Fuzz

Today was my 56th birthday.  I bought my own birthday cake yesterday.  We had Chinese food, as usual.

Saturday Dawna was showing Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which didn't interest me.  That evening I did see another Flashback film festival movie, Edgar Wright's Hot Fuzz, at the Yonge & Dundas.  

Hot Fuzz is a really funny British cop movie spoof starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. (Wright directed the two of them in the similarly funny zombie-apocalypse movie spoof Shaun of the Dead.) The parody details range from The Professional (the portable house plant) to Chinatown ("Forget it, Nick, it's Sanford!") to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (the murder by dropping a castle turret).

People have been talking about Joe Kennedy III (I thought he was the fourth?) responding to Trump's State of the Union speech.  I was just thinking that he reminds me of Jesse Plemons as Todd Alquist, the young hoodlum on Breaking Bad.

Salon has a very interesting interview with Elizabeth Catte, the author of What You Are Getting Wrong About Appalachia.  I guess Appalachia is the USA's Arcadia, like the Maritimes and especially Newfoundland for Canada.

No comments: