Monday, February 12, 2018

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN


"Are you thinking, Sandy, of doing a day's washing?" "No, Miss Brodie." "Because you have got your sleeves rolled up.  I won't have to do with girls who roll up the sleeves of their blouses, however fine the weather.  Roll them down at once, we are civilized beings."

"Step on it, Jimmy!" "I'm trying, Lois, but this is a 35 MPH zone and I don't want to get a ticket." "You're right"--The Adventures of Superman

Friday afternoon I saw the first episode of the '50s TV show The Adventures of Superman with Dawna.  The whole production oozes literalness and cheapness:  I like the way Superman always managed to delay his rescue to the last possible second!  She also showed the 1978 Superman movie with Christopher Reeve, but I only stayed for the first part with Marlon Brando. (Blink and you'll miss Trevor Howard!)

Friday night we had fish and chips.  I couldn't resist eating too many chips, and felt unwell later on.

Saturday afternoon I went to the Royal Ontario Museum's Christian Dior exhibit with the Fashion Meetup.  But I got a headache and had to leave early.  Oh well, from all the trips to London where I crammed everything into two weeks I've learned to go through exhibits quickly.

Tonight I went to another opera master class at St. Michael's.  They sung arias from Mignon, Romeo et Juliette, Rigoletto and Werther.

I was reading The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on the subway and got so involved that I missed my stop! (That's one measure for how good a book is...)

The other night I dreamed that I had just come back from London and was about to go back; and that I was going through the motions of trying to find a job, and had a self-pitying moment where I said, "I'm not suited for anything but delivering milk in the morning, and I can't even drive the truck!"

No comments: