Saturday, February 24, 2018

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF


"George, he's a Russian.  A Russian thinks the butterflies are spying on him!" --Smiley's People

To a group of rambunctious kids: "Swing, monsters!"--Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Last night I saw the cinemacast of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at the Event Screen, a Young Vic production with Sienna Miller from last summer. (I've seen the movie with Elizabeth Taylor and the TV version with Jessica Lange.) It must be Tennessee Williams' funniest play, in a '50s sort of way, and they're likely to be reviving it forever because it's such a good vehicle for a sexy leading lady!

Sienna Miller was skinny enough to play Edie Sedgwick in Factory Girl.  I haven't seen that, but I read that they had her saying about Andy Warhol, "He's changing the way we look at things!" If I'd been the screenwriter I would have had a different character say that, because Edie wasn't nearly sophisticated enough to say that.

Saw the last episode of Smiley's People tonight.  George Smiley was one of Alec Guinness' finest roles.  Now I want to read John Le Carre's trilogy!

Today I finally went to Mark's Work Wearhouse and bought a new autumn coat to replace the one with the busted zipper.

I was reading in the Napoleon biography that when his sister Pauline was holding court in Rome, she had a weekly ritual where important men got to watch her maids washing and powdering her feet. (Oh, you tease!) I've been on a roll lately in Candy Crush Saga--I imagine Napoleon would have liked that game.

No comments: