Saturday, September 29, 2018

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

On the witnesses describing Mr. Hyde: "Only on one point, were they agreed; and that was the haunting sense of unexpressed deformity with which the fugitive impressed his beholders"--Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I saw two or three episodes of The Bridge, but it got too creepy for me.

Wednesday night I went to the Singing Meetup, where we sang Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?"

I finished the history of modern Japan, and yesterday borrowed Robert Louis Stevenson's novella The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from the Deer Park library.

Today I saw For Your Eyes Only with Dawna.  It's the first time I saw it since its 1981 release, and back then it was the first James Bond movie I'd seen, so I knew no points of comparison.  

In contrast to the previous series entry, Moonraker, this one's a visually unambitious production with the emphasis on action.  The first of five directed by John Glen, it has several well-staged "set pieces," especially the opening run-in with Blofeld. (The scenes with the young figure skater made Roger Moore look even older...)

I dug up another row of potatoes from the garden.  It was a good year:  our biggest bowl got filled again, and there are still a couple of rows left!

No comments: