Friday, December 14, 2018

Moving furniture

I'm now writing this in my own room!  Yesterday Moira and I were moving furniture out of what used to be my room so John can tear out the walls and stuff.  (The biggest challenge was emptying the two big bookcases and toting the books out.) So I moved the old desk into my room and set up my computer on it.

I've moved most of those books into my room and I'm thinking of bringing in those bookcases too. (There's some older furniture now in my room that can take their place in the old room.) When John's finished, Moira can move her computer into that room from the living room so she can use it in the middle of the night with no fear of disturbing Father, who's now sleeping in the living room because the sun room got cold.

I've got to the last third of the third season of Sailor Moon, and the story's improving.  The first part moved pretty slowly, with one pure heart after another turning out not to have the talismans.  Finally the talismans turned up in the hearts of the three newest sailor senshi, including the newly-arrived Sailor Pluto. (Who's minding the Gate of Time while she visits the 1990s?  And why do I ask questions like that?) And Chibi-Usa met a girl who's the "Messiah" they're all looking for, and happens to be the daughter of the mad scientist we'd only been seeing in shadow! (He resembles a grown-up version of Melvin the dweeb--see above.)

I've started playing Forge of Empires again.  That's the computer game where you take a community from prehistoric times into the 20th century by building homes and industries, conquering provinces and upgrading technologies.

I've finished Blood of the Celts and now it's time to start The Decameron.  I'm also reading an E-book of Esther Samson's Black Country to Red China.  She's a Eurasian who spent her first years in Shanghai, then war came and her mother returned to England with her, where she got evacuated out to a Staffordshire mining household.  Then at age 17 she returned to China as the communists were taking over and started a new life in the People's Liberation Army.  But six years later she had to return to England--don't know the details yet--and became a West Country schoolteacher, rising to the headmistress level.  Her daughter Polly became a writer and married Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, whom she's written lyrics for.  Some stories you couldn't make up!

No comments: