Monday, December 24, 2018

Boccaccio's DECAMERON

Seward: "In my opinion--" Lincoln: "Which I always listen to..." "Or pretend to." "...with all three ears"--Lincoln

"Why did you hit me?" "Just because!"--One Piece

Wednesday night the History Meetup screened Steven Spielberg's Lincoln, which I was seeing for the second time.  Sally Field as Mrs. Lincoln reminded me of my own mother. (Debi mentioned that she's started reading these blogs.  That makes two fans!)

I've started reading our translation of Boccaccio's Decameron.  It's written in 17th Century English but still pretty readable. (Boccaccio's account of the Black Death in Florence is unforgettable!) There's something pretty modern about it.

Had lunch with John Snow at the Schnitzel Hub on Thursday.

Finished the third season of Sailor Moon, though I'm afraid Animelinkz may have missed one episode when they posted it online.  I've started the anime One Piece, which looks promising.  It's about a young man made of rubber who plans to become a pirate king.  It has something of the Dragon Ball spirit. (There's some McGuffin all the pirates are searching for, sort of like the seven Dragon Balls.)

I've moved the other big bookcase into my room and mostly filled that one too.  My bed currently has an extra mattress that was on the bed in the room that's being renovated! (It feels like the Princess and the Pea.)

No comments: