Monday, May 06, 2019

Concert

"All alone, outside the pueblo, on the bare prism of the mesa.  The rock was like bleached bones in the moonlight. Down in the valley, the coyotes were howling at the moon.  The bruises hrt him, the cuts were still bleeding; but it was not for pain that he sobbed; it was because he was all alone, because he had been driven out, alone, into this skeleton world of rocks and moonlight.  At the edge of the precipice he sat down.  The moon was behind him; he looked down into the black shadow of the mesa, into the black shadow of death.  He had only to take one step, one little jump....  He held out his right hand in the moonlight.  From the cut on his wrist the blood was still oozing.  Every few seconds a drop fell, dark, almost colourless in the dead light.  Drop, drop, drop.  Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow....  He had discovered Time and Death and God"--Brave New World

On Wednesday night the History Meetup met to discuss the Vikings.  Unfortunately we didn't have our usual room and had to go to a less sound-proof one, and that night they were having a book release at Dora Keough and the noise from that made it hard for us to talk. (They had the nerve to shush us!)

A few days ago I went to  bought a copy of Thomas F. Madden's Istanbul:  City of Majesty at the Crossroads of the World.  I'm reading it for next month's History Meetup on the Turkish Empire, but the library didn't have any copies at nearby branches.  The preface was so vivid that I read it out loud at Saturday's Crowdreads Meetup! (John read some Coco Chanel quotes.)

This afternoon my singing group had a concert for the old folk at Havcare Residential! (There was one resident there who reminded me of Burl Ives.) It's our last singing before the summer break, unless we perform at that street festival in June...

I wore my black suit with the bowtie, while everyone else was casual. (Oh well, I don't get many opportunities to dress up...) I had to remove some makeup that got on the bowtie, then figure out how to put it on, so I was afraid that I'd be late, but I was on time.

One of the songs we sang was "Dream a Little Dream." I remember when I was taking the ballroom dancing lessons at the Arthur Murray studio years ago, and that was one of the songs they'd play with foxtrot.  As a result, when I sing that song I'm always reminded of the foxtrot steps! We also sang a Beatles medley that included "Follow the Sun," which I'd never heard.

No comments: