Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Korean books

"They were still trying to find the ideal compromise between adults of twenty and adults of six.  So far without success.  Mr. Foster sighed and shook his head"--Brave New World

Sunday my Classic Book Club discussed Uncle Tom's Cabin.  I finished the Viking book and started Brave New World for the group's next event.

Saturday afternoon at the Crowdreads Meetup I read aloud the first few pages of Brave New World. (I wish I could have read a foreword Huxley wrote that concluded "You pays your money and you takes your chances," but this edition didn't have it.)

I filled up the notebook in which I've been writing memoir pieces for the Monday afternoon group.  A few days ago I went to Indigo Books and bought a new green notebook with a tree etched on the front!

Saturday I picked up several Korean folkore picture books at the Palmerston library. (They have quite a few Korean books there since it's just east of Koreatown.) I've started reading a story about a child who appeared in a magic place or somewhere and didn't have any family or anything...

I also got a children's biography of a famous Korean technological genius called Jang Yongshil.  He lived about 600 years ago and had a hard time getting ahead because he wasn't born into a scholar-elite family.  But he ended up designing precision astronomical instruments and automatic rain gauges and such.  Translating it into English is slow work, even with the considerable help of Google Translate, but I think I'm learning more. (There are a couple of details I've had to ask Hongmin about.)

No comments: