Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Air conditioning

This weekend we turned on the air conditioning for the first time this year.  Which meant keeping the windows closed. (I rather like hearing the noises out on the street.)

Thursday night I saw Gillian Armstrong's movie of Peter Carey's novel Oscar and Lucinda (for the second time) with the History Meetup.  I usually can't stand movies about gambling, but this one is handsome and quirky.  I was thinking that Oscar is an Aspie like me.

Saturday at the Crowdreads Meetup we talked about things going viral, and I read some Walt Whitman poems: "There Was a Child Went Forth Every Day," "I Hear America Singing" and "Miracles." (That's why I bought the Whitman book the other day.)

Today at the Memoir group I added "jigsaw puzzles" to our canister of topics, and someone chose it the same day! (That happened before, paradoxically, with "being chosen last.")

I'm now reading the part of the Haiti history book about the two-decade American occupation a century ago.  It's hard not to notice parallels with the later Vietnam fiasco.

No comments: