Saturday, July 27, 2019

Crowdreads

"Among humans, nothing is more valued than a person of unquestionable character." "Among humans, nothing is more demonic than a person whose character may not be questioned"--Pibgorn

"As President I have no enemies and can have none....  There are only the enemies of the nation.  And these the nation must judge"--"Papa Doc" Duvalier

Today was the last Crowdreads for a while. (Sergei and Maria are going to visit his folks in Odessa.) But we had a good time, and the Meetup went on for three hours!  I read a couple of Robert Browning poems, "The Pied Piper of Hamelin" and "How They Brought the Good News From Ghent to Aix." (Browning was a genius for finding rhymes!)

We also did a thing where we took the sentence "Some people think that the most important thing in the world is..." and wrote down different ways to finish the sentence!  I offered these endings:

...defeating the Bad Guys.
...keeping people from aiming too high.
...giving poor people a kick in the ass.
...accepting force majeure.
...Doing Something about whatever has you afraid.

As you can see, I'm a bit of a cynic.

I've just got to the part of the Haiti history about "Papa Doc" Duvalier's sinister dictatorship in the late 1950s and '60s. (He terrorized the country with a network of tonton macoutes, named for a figure in Haitian folklore who carried off naughty kids in his sack!)

Just now I'm reading the early years of Pibgorn, Brooke MacEldowney's  comic strip about the "frenemy" pair Pibgorn the fairy and Drusilla the
succubus.  I read the first couple of years in spring of last year, but this time I'm going to read the whole thing!

I'm still playing the computer game Elvenar.  There's a production facility where you can make magic potions, and whenever I see it, I think of Elton John's "Your Song":

If I were a sculptor, but then again no[?],
Or a man making potions in a travelling show...

I'm funny that way.

Wednesday would have been my mother's 100th birthday if she'd still been with us. (She did make it to 94!)

No comments: