Thursday, July 04, 2019

Dull week

Another week has passed and I have hardly anything to write about!

I've almost finished reading through my collection of Classics Illustrated comics.  The other week I read their version of Jules Verne's Off on a Comet, which interested me simply because that was the issue cover they showed on the back cover of the comics, along with the list of all their titles in print.  The story itself is about some people on a section of the earth that gets broken off by a section of comet, and its orbit eventually takes them close to earth again and they get back by building a huge hot air balloon! (It requires some suspension of disbelief.) The only one I have left is another Verne comic, Tigers and Traitors, which used to come at the very end of their list.

I've also been reading through my collection of Classics Illustrated Junior fairy tales.  But with those I've started at the end of the series and gone backward. (I also have some from a special history series they did with subjects like the Civil War.)

Last night was the latest History Meetup.  Our subject was Australia, and since I knew the most about it--which isn't saying much--they put me in charge of the discussion.  I talked a bit about Australia as a frontier society, with characteristic income inequality and macho culture.

Tonight I discovered a Youtube channel called Let's Play, where an expert goes through old computer games with running commentary.  I've watched his treatment of the first half of that old favourite of mine, Kings Quest VII:  The Princeless Bride.  He doesn't enjoy it as much as I did, but that isn't important.

I've been over a month behind in blogging my 2004 diary entries (it goes back to me being sick earlier this year), so I've started posting them two daily entries at a time twice a day, making for four entries a day.  When I'm up to it, that is.

I've been watching quite a few Youtube videos about swales and berms.  A swale being a ditch you dig along the contours of a sloping field, and a berm the raised earth you build up just downhill for it.  It's very useful for planting trees and restoring deforested land.  I've also been watching clips about slopes terraced for farming, like at Machu Picchu.  Anyone who builds swales and berms and terraces has my admiration.

No comments: