Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Salsa on St. Clair


On being pregnant: "I do not look lovely, Mrs. Bogart.  My complexion is rotten, and my hair is coming out, and I look like a potato-bag, and I think my arches are falling, and he isn't a pledge of love, and I'm afraid he will look like us, and I don't believe in mother-devotion, and the whole business is a confounded nuisance of a biological process"--Main Street

Is indicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein descended from Mexican War general and U.S. President Zachary Taylor?

Last weekend was the Salsa on St. Clair Festival, and once again my neighbourhood was noisy.  I bought a drink of freshly-pressed sugar cane juice--it cost ten dollars, but you don't get that every day.

I was happy to get away to Crowdreads Saturday afternoon, where I recited a couple of American patriotic poems since it had been the Glorious Fourth two days earlier.  One was Oliver Wendell Holmes' "Grandmother's Story of Bunker Hill Battle"; the other was John Greenleaf Whittier's "Barbara Frietchie." The latter ends with these lines:

Over Barbara Frietchie’s grave
Flag of Freedom and Union, wave!

Peace and order and beauty draw
Round thy symbol of light and law;

And ever the stars above look down
On thy stars below in Frederick town!

I don't usually care for that flag- waving stars & stripes patriotism, but I like this ending!

On Quora.com there was a question, "What's the shortest sentence you can write with the greatest meaning?" I posted the answer, "I'm me."

At the memoir group we usually leave the canister with the subject cards in the librarian's office. Today the usual people weren't there and they had trouble finding it.  For a moment I was afraid that I'd taken it home and forgotten to bring it back! (Last week was cancelled by Dominion Day, and I sometimes bring it home at such times.) But it did turn up in the end.

Just last night I had a dream of a movie about people in Hollywood making a movie during World War II.  Someone was playing the piano piece "Alone" from Yoshinao Nakada's Japanese Festival album. (I played that album when I was young.) I've posted a link to that piece above.

No comments: