Monday, December 09, 2019

OZARK

"I have more arms than letters, and my inclination is toward arms, for I was born under the influence of the planet Mars, and so I am almost compelled to follow his path, and follow it I must despite the rest of the world; it will be useless to try to persuade me that I do not wish what heaven wishes, fortune ordains, reason demands, and, above all, what my will desires; for, knowing as I do the countless travails that accompany knight errantry, I also know the infinite benefits that can be attained through it; I know that the path of virtue is very narrow, and the road of wickedness is broad and spacious; I know that their endings and conclusions are different, because the expansive, spacious road of wickedness ends in death, and the road of virtue, so narrow and difficult, ends in life, not the life that ends, but life everlasting; and I know, as our great Castilian poet [Garcilaso de la Vega] says, that 

Along this harsh, rock-strewn terrain we climb 
to the peak, high seat of immortality, 
never reached if these rigors are declined"
--Don Quixote

With The Crown finished, we started watching the second season of Ozark, the one about the big-city family forced to launder drug cartel money in redneck country.  It's still pretty smart!

Wednesday night was the History Meetup.  We discussed South Africa.

Saturday was another Crowdread Meetup.  We were doing a crossword puzzle as a team effort--but guess who pulled ahead of the others and finished it first? (I also read them the bit from Orwell's school memoir where he describes being beaten for bed-wetting.) Krystyna shared a rainbow cake with us!

Sunday afternoon my singing group had a session singing Christmas songs.  We were going to sing at an old folk's home but the gig fell through, so we just sang at our usual place.

Afterward was the Classic Book Club, where we discussed the second half of Don Quixote. (I did finish the book in time, on the way there!) We decided to move the time to Thursday nights.

No comments: