Sunday, December 29, 2019

unfollowerstats.com

"As to going home, shame opposed the best motions that offered to my thoughts; and it immediately occurr'd to me how I should be laugh'd at among the neighbours, and should be asham'd to see, not my father and mother only, but even every body else; from whence I have since often observed, how incongruous and irrational the common temper of mankind is, especially of youth, to that reason which ought to guide them in such cases, viz. that they are not asham'd to sin, and yet are asham'd to repent; not asham'd of the action for which they ought justly to be esteemed fools, but are asham'd of the returning, which only can make them be esteem'd wise men"--Robinson Crusoe

I found a useful Twitter-related app at unfollowerstats.com .  It allows you to look at a list of all the Tweeters you've followed who haven't followed you back, along with stats like how many Tweeters are following them.  I've been going through that list and removing everyone with over 15,000 followers--they aren't likely to follow me back, or care if I unfollow them.  Most of them I've moved into my Twitter lists so I'll still have a chance of reading their Tweets.  I now have a dozen lists: Causes, Authors, Politicians, Artists, TV News, Newspapers, Magazines, Leftists, Locals, Literati, Characters, and My Inner Circle.  Between them is a total of about 1200 Tweeters.  With this many removed, I'll have an easy time getting to 3000 followers while still following within the limit of 5000!

Today I had lunch with Maria and Sergei at the Taiwanese restaurant Coco, so I could return the mitt she lost in our back yard.  Then I went to the North York Central library and picked up a couple of children's books about the Korean inventor Jang Yongshil. (Last summer I spent a while translating another such book but only got halfway through, and that book's disappeared since.)

I've finally finished the Crusades history and started reading Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe (for the third time) for my Book Club.  25 pages into it and he still hasn't reached the island--there's a preliminary adventure where he's enslaved in Morocco and escapes to Brazil.

We finished the Civil War documentary and started watching The Last Czar, a Netflix series about Nicholas II. Rasputin is speaking in working-class British, which actually works pretty well.  I've also been watching the Amazon Prime series American Playboy:  The Hugh Hefner Story, which is perversely fascinating. (He was a true visionary, but the vision he catered to and even embodied was a rather pitiful one, for guys who want to have the trappings of sophisticated manhood while behaving like little boys at play!)

On Youtube I found a channel with someone playing piano arrangements of pieces like "Jingle Bells" and "Maple Leaf Rag" in jazzy meters like 5/4 and 7/8! (Someone should arrange Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" and "Unsquare Dance" in regular meters...)

No comments: