Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Things I like about Toronto:

1. The library system. You can order a book online from most branches of the Toronto Public Library, and arrange to pick it up at the branch closest to you. And they have a wide selection. (Very useful for book clubs.)

2. The transit system. My home is conveniently close to a streetcar line. (Yes, some cities still have them.) For less than $100/month I subscribe to the Metropass, which allows me to travel all over the city at no extra cost. What's remarkable is that the Toronto Transit Commission does such a good job with an unusually small subsidy: they deserve a far bigger one.

3. The ethnic communities. Toronto used to be a bland, fastidious white Protestant town which Alistair Crowley said made Edinburgh look like a witch's coven. But we've attracted immigrants from all over the world, who among other things have created a terrific restaurant scene. I have a Chinese doctor, a Czech dentist, a Palestinian psychiatrist and an Italian singing teacher.

4. The cultural scene. Toronto's a great city for live theatre, opera and concerts. I myself sing in an Italian choir and a non-professional opera chorus.

5. The Cinematheque. Run by the Toronto International Film Festival people and attached to the Art Gallery of Ontario, it shows an astounding range of classic movies from all over the world, going back to the silent era! (The silent movies are generally shown with live piano accompaniment.)

6. The night-school programs. The Toronto District School Board provides lots of reasonably priced "continuing education" courses in several of their schools Tuesday through Thursday evenings. I've taken courses in acting, creative writing, opera and taichi.

7. The Meetup groups. Being such a big city, it's easier to attract enough people for Meetup events. (I'm into stuff like book clubs and movies.) There are also lots of Meetin and Linkup events.

8. The karaoke. 'Nuff said.

9. The video stores. I've found lots of rare high-quality stuff at places like Revue, Suspect Video and Hollywood Canteen.

10. The parks. I live near Hillcrest Park on the edge of the escarpment, which has an impressive view of the downtown and Lake Ontario. I especially like walking downtown through the Nordheimer Ravine.

No comments: