Monday, October 01, 2012

Back From London

A week ago I got back from my latest trip to London.  It was my fourth trip in eleven years. (In 2001 I was actually scheduled to fly there on September 11!  That flight got cancelled because of all the US planes being diverted to Toronto, but my travel agent did me a yeoman service and I was on the first flight out two days later.  I'm ashamed to recall being two days late, as it seems such a minor inconvenience compared to what thousands of New Yorkers were going through, and millions of Afghanis and Iraqis would soon be going through.)

Seventeen insane days!  I went to about a dozen museums. (Most of them have free admission, though they encourage you to donate a few pounds and you'd be a cheapskate not to.) I saw half a dozen plays, and even went on a tour of the Young Vic theatre during the "Open London" weekend.

But what I really like doing is walking through the streets and parks.  I wore out a pair of shoes that were still pretty new!  And I couldn't help thinking that it's something William and Kate can't do.

I also bought a ton of books at places like Foyle's and Watterstone's on Gower Street.  I found an interesting series of books "50 _____ Ideas You Really Need to Know": I've started reading the one about mathematics. (My father sells used books online, so we can dispose of the least interesting books easily.)

No comments: