Saturday, October 06, 2012

Walk on, walk on...

One of my Meetup groups is for karaoke.  I used to be the organizer, until an event where I thought five people would come but only five people showed up. (It's those cold winter evenings.)  Now Jonah Libster bears the burden of organizing it.

Every month I go to an event at BarPlus near Yonge & Dundas, where a group can rent a room and sing songs with a much shorter wait than in regular karaoke bars. (Jonah also has an event at the Gladstone Hotel, but I don't bother with that because there's a huge wait between songs, and we have to get there early to boot.  But it does have a very wide song selection.)

Our latest event was tonight.  I'm always trying to think of new songs to try, and tonight I tried "You'll Never Walk Alone" from CAROUSEL (Tom Jones version).  I also sang "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey," making for two Liverpool soccer stadium songs in one night.  Coincidentally, I saw CAROUSEL in London just when the final report was released on the 1989 disaster when dozens of Liverpool soccer fans were killed at a stadium in Hillsborough, making it clear that the police had systematically lied afterward. (That report happened because a single MP kept pressing the issue.) I was in Britain at the time, and recall that people were singing both of these songs to commemorate the dead.

Another song I sang was the Sid Vicious version of "My Way," with which I always bring down the house.  I also sang Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark," in which I always get up close to the girl sitting near me for the final "Hey baby..." which also gets a laugh.  I try not to sing the same songs every time, but I seem to keep singing BJ Thomas' "I Just Can't Help Believing." (If it had been up to me, I would have called that song "More Than Just a Day" instead.)

No comments: