Friday, October 12, 2012

My grammatical pet peeves

On the subway today I saw a new advertising campaign by the McDonald's restaurant people inviting customers to ask questions about the food. (Speaking for myself, I don't ask questions I don't want to know the answer to.) One of them was, "How much preservatives do you put on your fries?" My solecism detector flashed red: "how much" shouldn't be used with plurals." You could ask "How many preservatives..." though then the question would be about variety rather than amount.  To ask about amount, you should say "How much preservative..." or "How much in the way of preservatives..."

An expression that bugs me is "one of the two or three most." Does it have a more specific meaning than a mere "one of the most"?  Only by a vague, trivial margin. ("One of the three most" or "the second or third most," on the other hand, have a specific, measurable difference.) It seems to me something that people say to sound extra-specific, not to BE extra-specific.

I don't care for expressions like "I'm going to the front and talk to the general." Maybe it isn't actually ungrammatical, but it doesn't FEEL right to me.  I just don't like having "and" join a noun and an infinitive.  I recall that back in 1996 the US Congress passed "The Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act," which had "and" joining a vowel and a noun, which is clearly ungrammatical.

BTW, I'm actually more comfortable with "Ain't I?" than with "Aren't I?"!


No comments: