Wednesday, February 06, 2013

The TOR costumes arrived!

Today Malabar shipped the costumes for the TOR shows to the Bickford Centre.  I came over to help unpack them as I do every year, and that's always fun.  I sometimes get a glimpse inside the women's dressing room. (I've never seen the witches' cauldron, but they do have more full-length mirrors than us men.) I usually get the chance to try on my own costume, though this year the time was lacking.

I got to wear my costume in the evening, when we did a dress rehearsal of TALES OF HOFFMANN.  This year I get to wear the same costume in both operas. (In THE BARBER OF SEVILLE, the male chorus also have police uniforms.) The shirt feels so comfortable I wish I owned one of that material!  This year we don't have to wear knee socks, which are a bit of a headache for keeping pinned.

At the rehearsal we also got masks to wear for the Barcarolle scene. (While Pablo was rehearsing Hoffmann's aria in that scene, Giuseppe told him, "This is a whorehouse, give us more dick!") I got a pink cat-style mask to wear and had a frustrating time tying the strings behind my head before I figured out that it's better to tie them before putting it on.

Today was also my birthday. (I was born on February 5, 1962, the same day as the birth of actress Jennifer Jason Leigh and a rare combination of solar eclipse and planetary conjunction that had some astrologers predicting the end of the world.) The whole TOR chorus sang "Happy Birthday to You" for me.  We ate Chinese food and my fortune cookie said, "You will be showered with good luck." I'll believe it when I see it.

No comments: