Monday, February 25, 2013

The DVD I didn't see

This evening I was going to watch the DVD I got from zip.ca of the silent Swedish movie EROTIKON.  Directed by Moritz Stiller, who discovered Greta Garbo, it's said to be a very daring study of love for its time. (One of the sexiest movies I've ever seen is also Swedish:  Ingmar Bergman's SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT.) And it promised to give me something to write about here.  Unfortunately, the disc had a crack and couldn't be played.  I've reported it as unplayable, and they promise to send me a free one.

Instead I watched an episode from "The Best of GUNSMOKE." (They've sent me three whole discs from that series!) It was the first episode where Burt Reynolds appeared, as Quint the Metis blacksmith.  This episode, from 1961, also featured Harry Carey Jr., the western actor who died the other month, and the actor who played Scottie on STAR TREK.

This afternoon Moira came to see the TOR as we put on HOFFMANN. (The parents feel too weary to come.) She doesn't like the opera as much as I do, but I think she did enjoy this performance.

I was just reading in that book of 50 physics ideas about the EPR paradox. (That stands for Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen.) I'm afraid it was all a bit over my head.  But I've finally finished most of the stuff about quantum mechanics, so I hope I'm over the hump.

No comments: