Thursday, April 17, 2014

Queen Street art walk

I didn't go out at all on Tuesday what with the cold weather.  At times like this I get headaches and can barely do one thing at a time. (I'd stopped wearing a warm blanket around the computer, but have temporarily resumed.) I hardly went out at all until this evening to join Betty Anne for her latest art walk.  This time it was along Dundas Street around Dufferin Street.  I intended to be on time, but as usual I was on the late side:  blame the slow Dufferin bus service. (Though I'm grateful that we have buses at all!)

The walk started at PM Gallery where we saw some pictures by Amanda Clyne of ethereal women, which reminded me of Edvard Munch.  Then we went to a Japanese-themed boutique called the Blue Button Shop; the Art Metropole, which sells art publications and "multiples"; and a Sky Glabush exhibition at MKG127, including an elaborate pencil sketch of a Baha'i information booth.  We got some snacks from Hogtown Cure, but didn't go in because they were busy gutting a pig.

I finished From the Earth to the Moon, which ends with the spaceship launched and seen orbiting the moon.  Jules Verne continued the story in a sequel titled All Around the Moon, which I'll have to pick up sometime, no doubt online from Chapters-Indigo like the first book. (The Classics Illustrated comic I vividly remember was based on both books.) I also read the introduction, which mentioned that they've been designing unmanned spacecraft that can be launched in the cannon style of this book, at a far smaller cost than rocketry!

Now I've resumed reading the revolution issue of Lapham's Quarterly.  It looks like a particularly good one!

It finally occurred to me to give over one of my twelve cherished Safari bookmark spots to blogger.com .  With several new blogs that'll be a convenient change.  I've also given a spot to comics kingdom.com .  One of the websites I dropped was youtube.com .  I can just type the letter "Y" and it'll come up quickly!  The other was my email page, because with the Mavericks update of my computer operating system, I can now get it on non-Safari software.  Now the computer makes a noise whenever I get a new email, and I'm no longer letting big backlogs accumulate.

No comments: