Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Spring changes

Spring has come, and that can mean putting things in order.  We just finished assembling a new filing cabinet. (Father did most of the work, but I would have helped more if he'd just asked me!) There's a long story behind it.

A few years back, I noticed that Father had a small filing cabinet for receipts and stuff from our used book business.  I mentioned that I'd like to have one to store some of the comic strips in my collection.  So Father went out and bought one--except that what he bought was a chest of drawers, not something you could hang file folders inside.  If he'd taken me with him, I would have told him that wasn't what I wanted, but he tends to do things on his own.

In the end, Father said that he'd give me his cabinet and use the new chest in its place.  I wasn't happy that he'd be using a less suitable filing place on my account, but there was nothing I could do but accept this arrangement.

For a while I did store my comics in it, but last September it was arranged that the original filing cabinet would go to Margaret's home in Kingston.  Did I agree to this?  For the life of me I don't remember, so I'll assume I did.  But now I had no place to put those comics.

We've been rearranging things since Mother's death, and Moira couldn't see why I didn't just use the chest of drawers to store those comics.  It was hard to explain to her that this wasn't what I needed.

My room is pretty full, so we've placed the filing cabinet in the upstairs hallway. (We also have an extra bookcase there.) It fits perfectly in a corner next to the stairs to the attic room.  As for that chest of drawers, it's still empty! But for how long?

Another spring change is that I went out and bought new shoes, since the sole was starting to come off one of my old ones.  I bought them at Walmart, which makes me feel guilty, but I couldn't figure out where else to go.  I also bought a new pair of slippers there.  By referring to "spring changes," I've managed to make the filing cabinet and the shoes into a single subject!

No comments: