Thursday, June 12, 2014

Election day

I voted in the morning. (I brought a Visa bill as proof of residence, but they weren't demanding that this time.) I voted NDP again:  I refuse to vote Liberal to defeat the Conservatives!  Even if the Liberals win we'll lose, and I'm not in the business of losing less.

I ended up doing no volunteer work for the St. Paul's NDP this time.  It wasn't because I was mad at the party, but because I couldn't seem to find the time.  And I never did find out where the campaign office was.  Hopefully the upcoming federal election will be different.

I had a gut feeling that the NDP voters would desert the party en masse for the Liberals, but that Hudak's Conservatives would win anyway.  Instead the Liberals managed a majority while the NDP still made gains.  Nobody knows anything.

Last night I saw Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde yet again, at the Yonge & Eglinton. There were only half a dozen people there!  It's one of the only Hollywood movies to capture the famous zeitgeist of identity-challenged 1960s youth. ("We rob banks.") Contemporary movies like The Dirty Dozen and Point Blank were just about as violent, but this movie's violence was so controversial because of the sexy context.  Faye Dunaway sure was hot in movies like this and Chinatown!  I hear that she's got a lot of plastic surgery in recent years:  it isn't easy being a famous hottie.

We've been having trouble connecting to Netflix on the big TV the last few days.  This evening I connected to it on my computer and then the problem went away!  Just one episode left in Mark Cousins' history of cinema!

We still haven't bought a new bread machine.  I wanted to go look for one today, but Father persuaded me to wait till the weekend flyers come out tomorrow.  He's also late evaluating the book Don lent us from the fin de siecle literature series.

No comments: