Tuesday, June 03, 2014

I'm in a good mood.

I got quite a bit done in the last couple of days.  On Sunday I finally got the potatoes planted.  I had about a hundred spuds to plant, so I hoed eight rows and planted thirteen in the longer rows and twelve in the shorter ones.  Now it can rain all it pleases!  I've watered them a bit, and it turns out that our hose is awfully leaky and could use replacement.  I should also help Father dismantle the diamond-shaped planter, which will mean more room for the garden.

Sunday night I baked gingerbread for choir practice this evening.  First I had to go out and get some more molasses, and I got some cherries too because Moira likes them.  This time I floured the pan as well as greasing it, so it came out pretty easily.  It was pretty popular, of course.  At choir practice we did a new Sicilian song titled "Ciuri Ciuri." Afterward Don lent me a volume from a series of reprinted great literature from a century ago so Father can appraise it.

I also brought some to the memoir slam, as well as returning the canister of subject cards. (I'd written a lot of new ones, as well as removing a handful of duplicates.) Ten people turned out, our biggest crowd in a while.  John and Carol from Newfoundland were there after being away for months.  Our subjects were New York City, ethnic cuisine and childhood playacting, all ones that I'd submitted.

I've now finished The Last of the Mohicans.  It was pretty impressive.  Imagine my surprise finding out that the movie version had a different sister being killed! (They also had her jump off a cliff instead of being knifed.) Gamut, the psalmist forced to go native, was an interesting "tenderfoot" character.

What should I read next?  Maybe Edmond About's The King of the Mountains.  Of course, the new Lapham's Quarterly will be here pretty soon.

The Huffington Post is switching its forums to a Facebook system, and some posters are leaving for other websites.  I wasn't planning on doing that, but I should look around to see if any of the other sites are worth following too.

No comments: