Friday, September 19, 2014

A new art group

On Tuesday I went to a new Art Meetup group at a Korean women's centre in the Annex. We were all painting trees, and I painted an apple tree whose top part went over the picture's upper edge, with the sun and some clouds in the background, and more trees on the horizon.  It got a good reception, but I was really impressed by Andrea's tree:  she has a great sense of style!  Later we did spontaneous abstracts, but that didn't suit me too well.

Wednesday afternoon at the Chinese Art Meetup we drew tulips.  I'm starting to enjoy painting more, now that I'm less intimidated by the wide range of pigments.

Today I went to Shopper's Drug Mart to replenish my Cipralex, but it turned out the prescription has expired and I'll have to get a renewal from Dr. Hassan. (Hope he's in his office this week!)

This evening I went on Betty-Anne's art walk.  It was on Dundas Street West again, and one gallery had a model village an artist created with scenery you can get at a model train shop and some fantastical residents who were cyclops or half man and half bird. (I commented that you might find Popeye in such a place.) We also went to a restaurant called Get Well that had several classic video game machines and a Soviet propaganda mural featuring Comrade Stalin.

I've finished Pere Goriot.  Definitely unsentimental.  Vautrin the crook was my favourite character and I was thrilled to find out that Balzac wrote more stories about him. (I could imagine him being played by Cesar Romero.) I'll have to read some more of The Human Comedy someday...

After the art walk I went to Indigo Books near Bay and Bloor and bought a copy of Margaret MacMillan's Paris 1919.  I'm going to read it for the Non-Fiction Book Club Meetup at the end of October.


No comments: