Monday, September 22, 2014

The anti-climate change march

This afternoon I went on the march against climate change.  I wore the new shirt and summer hat I'd just bought at Target.  Toronto didn't have New York's numbers, but there were several thousand here.  We met in Nathan Phillips Square, then marched along University Avenue, Dundas Street and Yonge Street in a circle back to where we started. (I dropped out at Dundas Square and had lunch at Burger King.)

The speakers beforehand included the Fair Vote director and Judy Rebick, who led the crowd in the chant, "Hey hey, ho ho, dirty oil has got to go!" It's the third time I've gone on a protest march:  back in 1982 I went on a peace march here in Toronto, and in 1995 I marched in London to protest Western inaction over Bosnia. (I heard Vanessa Redgrave speaking in Trafalgar Square!) I went just in case it'll make a difference, which I'm definitely not counting on.  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I'd considered visiting Giuseppe afterward, but in the end I felt too tired for the long trip east.  It's odd how fatigue creeps up on me these days.  Today I got a headache first, and when I got home I had to nap before dinner.

Tonight I saw the first episode of the fourth season of Boardwalk Empire, on DVD from 2Q.  I've noticed that Chalky, the black community strongman, is played by the same actor who was Omar on The Wire.  I'd totally forgotten that Nucky lost his wife!

Thursday night the Storytelling Meetup got cancelled because the organizer was too busy with other things.  I wish she'd name an assistant organizer so we can meet without her!

I've been writing some witty posts in my Facebook groups, if I do say so myself.  In one someone asked, "If DC or Marvel wanted to make you into a superhero what would your name and powers be?" I answered, "I'd be Bigmouth, who sits home and rants." Someone has been posting sophisticated riddles in the style of Batman's Riddler, and I gave an answer, "Uh--blood, hope and Turandot." (We'll see if any comic book fans are also opera fans.) In this Aspergers group someone asked, "Are you a leader or a follower?" I answered "'Lead, follow, or get out of the way!' I'm a getoutofthewayer."

No comments: