Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Election day

Yesterday I went to the Hellenic Home and voted in the morning. (It gave me a reason to get up earlier.) Personally, I think that urging people to vote, without telling them whom to vote for, is lame.  If people don't care, they don't care.

At choir practice that night, we did "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," which came out in 1963 along with "Do You Hear What I Hear?":  the last two classic Christmas songs. (No, I'm not counting "Do They Know It's Christmas?" or "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.") I have to admit it's a pretty good song.  At one point the sopranos and basses strike a note of dissonance, which makes me uncomfortable.  Even if I'm singing it right, it doesn't feel right to me.

During a break in the middle of choir practice I went out into the hall and saw a TV set that told me John Tory had been elected mayor.  Someone said that Olivia Chow was a poor debater, but I think it's more that people just wouldn't listen to her.  I have a feeling that people had their minds made up before the first debate. That Toronto Sun cartoon showing her trying to ride on her late husband's coattails was as unfair as it was witless.

After choir practice, I tried to make a belated appearance at  Chow's post-election gathering, but I couldn't find the place.  It turns out that I thought it was on Dundas St. East, when it was actually on Dundas St. West!

Today I made a start on harvesting the potatoes in the garden.  I've already found a couple of nice big ones.  And I began a new computer game called Forge of Empires. (I'm a sucker for games where you start with a primitive village and gradually turn it into a modern city.)

No comments: