Friday, October 31, 2014

Finishing things

"Do you always have to open graves to find girls you're interested in?"--The Mummy

"I never want to receive a present without giving something in return.  Here's a penny"--The Wolfman

I've been busy the past few days.  Today I finally finished digging up the potatoes, despite the drizzle which made the soil stick to the spuds. (It was like that scene in the Tess of the D'Urbervilles movie where they were digging potatoes in really miserable weather!) We had a pretty good haul, though only a few were really big.  I've also been digging through the roots in the planter soil, which is good enough to expand the garden next year.

Today I also finished Henry James' The Europeans.  I fear I didn't pay enough attention at times as I was reading it.  It was brave of James Ivory to make it into a movie:  it's hardly the most cinematic of books.

Wednesday I went to a double bill of The Mummy and The Wolfman.  The latter movie had a lot of film nourish effects.

Thursday night I had to Meetup events overlapping.  I went to the Art Meetup early, and fortunately I worked pretty quick, producing a picture with three trees (a peach tree, a fir and a poplar), with grass on the bottom and the sun, clouds and a mountain in the background.  I left early enough that I was practically on time for the non-fiction book club, where we discussed Paris 1919.  There were some digressions involving the Cold War and Israel.

No comments: