Tuesday, March 24, 2015

BLAZING SADDLES

"The little expedition down the river was delightful, and the little room overlooking the river into which they were shown for dinner was delightful.  Everything was delightful.  The park was delightful, the punch was delightful, the dishes of fish were delightful, the wine was delightful"--Our Mutual Friend

"The time has come to act, and act fast!...  I'm leaving"--Blazing Saddles

Sunday I went to a Movie Meetup with buffet lunch at the Smiling Buddha.  The movie was Mel Brooks' western spoof Blazing Saddles, which I'd seen at least three times before.  This is a movie that's basically thrown together, that'll do anything for a laugh, like Animal House and Airplane!  We even get the knee-in-the-nuts gag not once but twice.  There are enough successful jokes to carry most people past the clunkers and the so-sos.  I noticed some off-colour jokes for the first time. ("Men coming and going, and going and coming, and always coming too soon!")

Last night was the choir's spring concert.  When Beatrice was introducing "That's Amore," I couldn't resist interjecting that it had been in the movie Moonstruck. (I hope that didn't bug her too much.) Afterward I suggested to her that we do a Scottish song like "Will Ye Nae Come Back Again?" and she'll look into it.

The book club is on Sunday, and I still haven't quite finished the first half of Our Mutual Friend!  It's time to focus.

No comments: