Friday, October 23, 2015

A dream

Sometimes I have complex dreams.  Last night was a doozie. (They sometimes happen when I miss my Cipralex, but I don't think that was the case here.)

I dreamed I had a baby ape for a new pet.  I think the reason for that is that I saw a trailer for the promising-looking Frederick Wiseman documentary Jackson Heights, about a district in Queens, N.Y. said to be the most racially diverse in America.  And that reminded me of Wiseman's documentary set in a Florida zoo, where they showed a baby ape being nursed.

Then I was back in Sackville, N.B.  I was enrolled in a course that was already half over and I hadn't been to any of the classes, so I wanted to withdraw from it officially. (Some people dream of sitting examinations, but that doesn't happen with me.) I promised to learn to sew so I could make costumes for my opera group.  We don't even make costumes, we rent them from Malabar!

Then I went downtown from our old home on West Avenue, and saw Bridge Street all torn up, like I see Toronto streets torn up for improvements.  I joined a tour group outside the town and went on a walking tour of the lowlands around the ridge where the remains of Fort Beausejour stand. (It's a National Historic Park.)

Remember that movie Dying Young where Julia Roberts was a caregiver for a doomed young man?  In the version I dreamed of it was Julia who was dying!  Then she got kidnapped by an eastern potentate except that it was all arranged by one of her elders so she'd never be seen again and he'd get her inheritance or something.  And suddenly the movie ended!

What do you dream about?

No comments: