Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Three movies

"...she was not in the least kind-hearted, nor readily aware of the feelings of others, typical of the offspring of most country people, whose souls, like the callused hands of their fathers, have grown a hard skin"--Madame Bovary

On Thanksgiving weekend I saw three movies.  Friday night I saw a documentary about the Black Panthers at the Bloor.  It's a shame that the F.B.I. targeted them just when they were moving away from armed confrontation to social services.  Saturday night I saw A Walk in the Woods at the Revue.  I loved Bill Bryson's book but the movie was pretty mild.  Sunday night I saw another documentary at the Bloor, this one about the Faberge jewellers.  I liked the eclectic music.

I'm on a schedule of reading fifteen pages a day of Madame Bovary so I can finish it in time for John Snow's book club.  I feel like I'm back in college! (Though I didn't take any literature courses.)

Yesterday was the first debate for the Democratic presidential candidates.  I couldn't see it because I was at opera rehearsal.  Beatrice warned everyone it was important to memorize and said, "James doesn't need to look at his book!" Well, I've done the opera before, and also did it with the choir, so it was pretty easy for me to relearn.

Actually, I wouldn't have watched the debate even if I could have.  I don't watch these political debates because I already know whom I support.  It's very interesting that the pundits all said that Hillary Clinton won, even though all the post-election polls showed Bernie Sanders winning by a wide margin! (You can argue that the internet polls were skewed by Sanders' big online following, but he even dominated the offline focus groups.) Should have known it would happen this way:  the Washington insiders naturally leaning toward the insider candidate.

At my choir, Paolo got me to change from baritone-bass to tenor!  We'll see how that works out. (I can't hit that high B flat.) I was going to go on Betty-Anne's art walk tomorrow night, but there's a special choir rehearsal to make up for us being unable to get together on Thanksgiving Day.  I could play hooky, but Paolo specifically wants the people who can read music.

No comments: