Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I'm depressed

"I'm evil because I'm a man"--Iago

It looks like Canada has regressed to the Chretien era. (He's my least favourite Prime Minister.) I could see from the first that Thomas Mulcair had erred in promising to keep the budget balanced:  people just don't care much about that.  In the case of defending the right to wear a niqab, that worked against the N.D.P. but at least they were in the right!  I just hope that American voters don't chicken out like we did.

I voted on Monday morning and beat the rush.  Our local district's voting is now at the Wychwood Barns.

At Monday night's choir practice I sat with the tenors for the first time.  A few people have left and I hope we get enough replacements.  A lot of people seemed more interested in the baseball playoff game with the Blue Jays than with the election!

Saturday morning I saw the Met production of Otello at the Yonge & Dundas.  Zeljko Lui is a great Iago!

Last night at opera rehearsal we had an acting session, which is always fun.  My group put on a scene where a lover arrives late in port just in time to see his sweetheart sailing away on a ship.  I played the captain, and imagined myself as Popeye the Sailor Man!

In one of those Facebook discussions I wrote: "Suppose that the pundits had unanimously declared Bernie Sanders the winner of last week's debate, and that the MSM had systematically ignored the consistent impression from the online polls and focus groups that Hillary Clinton had won by a large margin?  Does anyone doubt that many Clinton supporters would be screaming 'Conspiracy!'?" I just wish I'd thought quick enough to say it last week! (Call it esprit de l'escalier.)

Now that I think of it, what bothers me about that Facebook group is that the organizer blamed me for writing a political comment but not the one who posted a link to a book review involving Reagan!  (I'd been warned before, so like a bad schoolteacher she couldn't see anything else but blaming me.) I'm not saying the other guy should have got all the blame, but I would have been happier if he'd been blamed too.

1 comment:

John said...

I really like your blogs, James!