Sunday, November 08, 2015

People I don't envy

For no reason in particular I decided to make a list of people I don't envy.

Poor people.  It's easy to be judgemental and forget their daily struggles and humiliations.

Soldiers.  Even the most successful ones have seen some ugly shit.  And they serve their country even when their government makes them do the wrong thing.

Americans.  The U.S.A. often seems a more exciting, glamorous place than Canada.  And yet Americans have a tendency to live in fear even when they don't have to!

Miners.  Mining is one thing I could never do. (I couldn't stand being in a submarine either.)

First Nations.  When the Europeans came along they basically got run over by a truck.  Possibly the worst thing we did to them was declaring them human dinosaurs a century ago.

People in prisons.  Not just the prisoners, but the people who work there.

People in the old days.  We often take for granted aspects of modern living like dentistry and flush toilets.

Royalty.  True, their lives are comfortable, but a million eyes are always on them, waiting for them to make any mistake.  Kings once had both power and responsibility; now they largely only have the responsibility that comes from symbolizing your nation.

People in the sex trade.  Our laws here (as with drugs) often have the effect of punishing the victims.

North Koreans.  The more I hear about that country, the better Canada looks.

Rock stars.  I can't imagine enjoying making music so much that I'd be willing to lose my hearing prematurely. (That goes for their roadies too!)

Suburbanites.  I lived in Mississauga for a year when I was young.

Illiterates.  A whole world is closed to them.

No comments: