Thursday, November 19, 2015

SPITTING IMAGE

Monday at the memoir slam my pen kept acting up so my handwriting looked like a little kid's!  There's a guy in the group who I thought was called Hugo but it turned out he spells his name Huggho!  Gary brought his keyboard and afterward I tried playing it as an audition for his group, but I was unused to it.  He'll come over Friday and I'll try again. (Yesterday I went to Gladstone library and found some albums with promising song scores.)

Monday night I lugged all my old scores to the choir so they can file them all. (I've accumulated quite a few over a decade!) But it turned out that they aren't collecting them till next week, so I had to take them back home, and I'll be toting them there again.

At opera practice Tuesday we were learning the Fledermaus chorus parts, which are smaller than in Elixir. (Once again, I'm benefiting from having done it before.)

Today was apparently the last warm day of the fall, so I finished moving those patio tiles and dug a ditch around the expanded garden.  There are a couple of offshoots from the cherry tree we cut down, which I should replant.

Anyone remember Spitting Image, the British satirical puppet show from the 1980s and early '90s?  I've been watching the first episodes on Youtube.  So far it's pretty thin:  Reagan and Thatcher just don't seem funny when I look at the long-term harm they did. (The best thing in it was always the songs. I remember their parody of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," which had the line "You can change the world, but you can't change the world"!)

I've started applying myself with The Magic Mountain.  If I keep it up, I'll actually finish in time for the book club event!

No comments: