Wednesday, November 11, 2015

SUFFRAGETTE

"'Well roared, lion,' Hans Castorp could not help thinking, as he usually did when Herr Settembrini uttered something pedagogic"--The Magic Mountain

Thursday my History Discussion Group met at Schnitzel Hub near St. Clair station. (I had goulash soup, large size.) Five people turned up, and we discussed Samuel Pepys' diary.  I've been so busy reading other stuff that I only had time to glance at a few highlights beforehand.  But that didn't matter, it was a good discussion.

Sunday was Reading Out Loud, and the topic was Canadian writing. (I titled the event "The Great White North"!) I read "L'Envoi.  The Train to Mariposa" from Leacock's Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town and the chapter in Anne of Green Gables where she tried to walk on a rooftop and ended up with a broken ankle.

This afternoon at choir practice, instead of waiting while Paolo spent time on the basses, I helped Paolo's wife Katrina assemble copies of the "O Holy Night" score into booklet format for our binders.

I've almost finished digging up the garden, but there's still one row left.  I also have quite a few patio tiles to move to expand our growing area.

This evening I saw Suffragette with the History Discussion Group at the Varsity.  It was vividly made but a bit conventional. (When the laundry supervisor put his hands on Carey Mulligan I thought, "It's time for her to attack him with her hot iron," and was not disappointed.) At least they didn't have her stand on a table with a sign saying "Votes for women" and cause all the laundry machines to stop, like Sally Field in Norma Rae (another rather conventional movie).


No comments: