Thursday, January 21, 2016

Reading out loud

Sunday's ROLT Meetup, "My heart's in the Highlands!" focused on Scottish writing.  I read a passage from early in Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped sequel David Balfour; Robert Burns' "The Soldier's Return"; "Greenland's Icy Mountains" by the World's Worst Poet William McGonnagall; and "The Hill" from Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology, except that I'd translated it into Scots dialect and retitled it "Th' Brae."

Five people came. (At one point over twenty people had said they were coming.) One of them was Rebecca, whom I'd met at a Meetup several years ago, who grew up in New Guinea as a missionary child.

Monday night at choir practice we started on our new program.  The first song we've started learning is "Firenze Sogna." I'm already trying to memorize it because Paolo would like all of us to be off-book.  At one point I managed to sing a high A!

At opera rehearsal Tuesday night we started staging Die Fledermaus.  I'm one of four guys who'll do consecutive dance twirls with our gals at the start of the "What a Night!" number.

Tonight I saw the DVD of Disney's movie of Bambi, which I last saw as a little kid.  They removed the deer character who got captured by the humans and released back into the wild without his old survival instincts, as well as the part where Bambi examines the corpse of a poacher killed in a gunfight. (The latter was too gruesome for the family audience.) The added scene where Bambi rescues Faline from the hounds doesn't jibe with the book.  But the choral music was nice.

I just ate a pomelo, which is a mega-grapefruit.

The History Discussion Group Meetup is in a couple of weeks so it's time for me to get serious about finishing A Distant Mirror!  If I do 15 or 20 pages a day that'll be enough.

No comments: