Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Classic Book Club

"The real king of Naples is the Queen!"--That Hamilton Woman

Friday night I went to the opening of an art exhibit at the Power Plant, only to find out that it wasn't till this Friday!

Saturday night I hoped to rent the Roberto Rossellini-Ingrid Bergman movie Stromboli from 2Q Video, but it was out.  Instead I rented Alexander Korda's That Hamilton Woman, with real-life couple Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh as Lord Nelson and his mistress Lady Emma Hamilton.  Since it was made in 1941, there was plenty of WWII subtext, emphasizing the importance of fighting Napoleon/Hitler's tyranny.  Pretty fun overall. (I liked the bit in the first scene where the gendarme socked her and hurt his knuckles!)

Sunday afternoon the Classic Book Club discussed Bambi.  Only three people came, but everyone who decided not to come changed their RSVP, and that's something. (There are usually some no-shows who don't warn you.)

Sunday night we started watching the Netflix series Bloodlines, about a black sheep who returns home to his Florida family and starts causing trouble.  It looks promising.

This afternoon at the memoir slam there was a woman from Vietnam called Deanna, who was on the last helicopter out of Saigon in 1975!  Seems people are always telling her she should write down her life story.

Tonight at choir practice we started doing the Slave's Chorus from Verdi's Nabucco.  We've done it before a lot, but this is the first time we did it Paolo's way.  I managed to sing a high B flat for the first time!

The other night I dreamed that someone convinced me to agree to make a "reality TV" show, but I changed my mind when I found out they were going to film it in my room!  I also dreamed of singing William Blake's "Jerusalem" in a choir.

No comments: