Friday, January 15, 2016

GOODFELLAS

"What do you expect me to do, shoot him?" "Well, it wouldn't be a bad idea..."--Goodfellas

"And all I had to do every once in a while was tell Sandy I loved her"--ibid.

Sunday afternoon I saw Martin Scorcese's Goodfellas (for the umpteenth time) at the Event Screen with the Sunday Afternoon Movie Meetup.  It's one of my favourite movies!  While most gangster movies are tragedies, this one plays as a very black comedy.  This time I noticed the gangsters' long, pointy collars, like priests on speed.  They also had a "making of" documentary.

Afterward I went to the Politics Meetup.  But first I had time to kill so I went to the Chapters near Bay station and bought Margaret MacMillan's book about historical personalities and the 1985-86 issue of the complete reprint of Peanuts. (It wasn't so good by this time, but I'm still a bit curious.)

Monday afternoon we had fifteen people at the memoir slam even though Selia couldn't make it! (We discussed movie's we'd like to see someday, and school textbooks.) That evening choir practice got cancelled.  I hope it wasn't because of Paolo's boy being sick!

Wednesday night I saw the Ingrid Bergman documentary at the Bloor. (This time I was ready to be there at 6:15.) I hadn't known she had an affair with the war photographer Robert Capa!

This morning there was a robbery at the Starbuck's near St. Clair and Christie. (Nobody was hurt.) Last weekend there was a stabbing at St. Clair and Dufferin.

Today I went to the dentist and got a filling. (My regular cleaning will have to wait a couple more weeks.) I'm considering getting my teeth straightened, and Dr. Hrabalova suggested an orthodontist to visit.

No comments: