Thursday, January 07, 2016

THE BIG SHORT

"Money isn't all." "Not when ya got it!"--Giant

"She says this job is making me unhappy." "It makes you happy to be unhappy!"--The Big Short

Sunday I saw George Stevens' Giant, for the fourth time, with the Classic Movie Meetup at the Lightbox. (They've been showing a series of movies with Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor.) It's Elizabeth Taylor at her best, with lots of epic Texan stuff and James Dean too!  Jeannie and Gaby like me because I share my popcorn with them.  Afterward we had dinner at the Queen Mother Cafe near Osgoode station.  I had a spicy dish from Laos called Long Son Gai.

Monday night was choir practice, but a lot of us couldn't come so we just did some voice exercises.  I'm still curious about what we're going to do next!

Today Moira and I went through my clothes and found some stuff that should be replaced. (I admit that clothes aren't so important to me.) Then I went to Amalia's Jewellers north of St. Clair and bought a new battery for my watch, after only six months of procrastination!  I also bought a new strap, with Mickey Mouse comic book panels printed on the inner side.

Tonight I saw The Big Short at Canada Square.  A surprisingly funny take on the sub-prime mortgage crisis from the perspective of people who profited through short-selling. (Short-sellers have a bad reputation for profiting from trends that ruin other people, but without them speculative bubbles would be bigger and get followed by bigger crashes.) With a good cast and sharp dialogue, it may end up electing Bernie Sanders president!

No comments: