Friday, June 03, 2016

Pax Mongolica

Tuesday night the choir did a rehearsal with the Columbus Centre band for the first time, before next week's concert.  They seemed impressed by us.

Sunday I got a message from the Schnitzel Hub that they wanted a $300 prepayment before Wednesday's History Discussion Group event, so I provided the payment through my credit card.  Maybe it was the wrong decision, but I didn't know what to do so close to the event, and didn't want to screw things up.

When we met on Wednesday night, there was a big kerfuffle, and in the end they refunded most of my payment and we moved to the Jester nearby.  The event, titled "Pax Mongolica" was a discussion about the Mongolian empire and its legacy, starting from Jack Weatherford's book Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World.  It was a very interesting discussion that went on for almost three hours.  There was a new Chinese guy with the name Mega. (His parents saw a Megabucks sign in Las Vegas and decided that would be a good name--would I lie to you?) We'll have future events at Scallywag's, where I've gone for the Political Meetup.

Netflix has some new episodes of Hell on Wheels, with the hero overseeing the building of the railroad from California east to the prairies, and dealing with Chinese workers. (I guessed that the Chinese boy was actually a girl because the lead cast included a Chinese female!)

I started planting the garden today, and did half the potatoes. (I would have started yesterday, but I was feeling unwell for some reason.) Moira's going to plant some herbs as well!

No comments: