Friday, June 17, 2016

BILLIONS & MANHATTAN

"What's the point of having 'Fuck you' money if you never say 'Fuck you'?"--Billions

Daughter: "It's Kafkaesque!" Mother: "At least she's reading"--Manhattan

We've started watching some new shows on Crave TV.  One is Billions, a really sharp show about Manhattan prosecutor Paul Giamatti about to take on Wall Street billionaire Damian Lewis.  The kinky opening scene seemed a bit gratuitous.

The other one is Manhattan, about the World War II scientists developing the first A-bombs, and their families living in top secrecy at Los Alamos.  This subject interests Father since he's been a nuclear physicist.

Tuesday we watched Listen to Marlon, a documentary built around the voluminous voice recordings Marlon Brando made over his lifetime. (I read Peter Manso's Brando biography some years back, but I couldn't quite finish it because it got too sad!)

Wednesday night I went to John Snow's lecture on Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt at the Gladstone library.  I ought to do his Main Street in my book club someday.  He asked me to become assistant organizer of his two book clubs, for what it's worth. (I take a much more casual approach than he does, and maybe we need to combine both approaches!) I've just been shipped half a dozen books to read for his upcoming American book club.

Six days since my last post and I can't think of anything more to write about!  It's one of those weeks...

No comments: