Thursday, June 30, 2016

LAPHAM'S QUARTERLY

The other night I finally finished the fashion issue of Lapham's Quarterly.  Now I've started reading the spying issue from last winter. (After that come the disaster issue and the gambling issue.)

I also finished Pierre Berton's Canada.  Next I'll be rereading Bill Bryson's One Summer (about America in the summer of 1927) for the History Discussion Group.

Saturday afternoon I went on a march in Bloordale, from Jane to High Park stations.  It was a march to show support for Moslem refugees, in response to one by the anti-immigrant group PEGIDA the week before.

Sunday afternoon I saw King Vidor's Show People at the Revue, a Marion Davies silent comedy (for the second time).  What with her reputation as William Randolph Hearst mistress, it's easy to forget that she did have talent!  But in the sound era he ended up putting her in overproduced musicals.

I've recently started rereading my Menomonee Falls Gazette collection.  It's a weekly magazine from the early 1970s that reprinted the finest daily dramatic comic strips from the time.  (Stuff like Modesty Blaise and Rip Kirby and Secret Agent Corrigan and Tarzan...) I accumulated the collection by buying it on Ebay about a decade ago, and have all except a few issues at the end of its run of over four years.  There are still a few parts of it that I haven't read!  My new ambition is to compile an index showing all the strips the magazine carried, along with the writers and artists and capsules of all the reprinted stories for each strip.  The story strip was past its 1930s peak by then, but the art and writing were still way better than today!

No comments: