Thursday, January 19, 2017

Back to the opera

Last night was the first opera rehearsal of the new year.  We went onto the stage and blocked out the first half of Carmen. It turns out that both stage director Beatrice and music director Adolfo are going elsewhere next year.  I can't imagine Toronto City Opera without them! (Then again, a decade ago I couldn't have imagined it without stage/musical director Giuseppe Macina.)

Beatrice is a fun director.  Tonight she showed the girls how to fake hair-pulling in the catfight scene! (The pullee puts her hand on the puller's hand and guides it down her head.) For the gypsy dance at the start of the second act, she has the men watching it on the stage this time.

Tonight I went to that Cozy Drinks & Books Meetup again.  One of the girls there reminded me of Giovanna Baccelli in that Gainsborough painting, so I printed it out to show her.  On my first attempt, the paper got stuck inside the printer and I had to drag it out a little at a time. (I'd had the same problem a few days earlier trying to print something out for Reading Out Loud.) I ended up printing three copies!  When I showed it to her, I realized she didn't look that much like the picture...

I wrote about the incoming U.S. president online, "Wait and see, but don't hold your breath!"

No comments: